Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Vacation Trip Part 2; The East River

We had a great trip back home, and try to enjoy the pictures below. This was our view as we left Manhasset Bay
We both love this traditional ship
Getting closer to the Throgs Neck bridge Does anyone know what this ship is for? Looks like some Borg ship from Star Trek. Big boat traffic This photo has special meaning to me. I am originally from Manhattan. Lived on 77 St. and first ave. That park is John Jay park, only 2 blocks from our apt. My parents met each other there when they were just kids (my Dad was 19 when I was born). But in the 50's it was common to get married and have kids early. As I grew up, spent time swimming and hanging out there. I use to walk up and down East River Drive, watching all the marine traffic on the river. In Manhattan most folks do not own a car, never mind a boat. I could have never imagined as a kid owning a boat, never mind sailing down the East River. So this moment was special to Meg and I. If my Parents never moved us to NJ in the early 70's, Meg and I never would have met. We never would have owned Starrider, sailed down the East River. You get the picture.... Fate, an amazing thing.

Come on! Everyone knows the name of this building!

I will never forgive those terrorist bastards for changing the NY skyline forever. I used to service communications equipment on the top floor of World Trade #2. The view from the roof was awesome, I will never forget.

Hey Bud, if you believe that, I have a couple of bridges to sell you.

Spiffy marine terminal This Lady needs no introduction! Ahhhh, we passed under the last bridge We anchored here at Atlantic Highlands after leaving the East River. We left Atlantic Highlands at sun up Heading due east, rounding Sandy Hook

At Sandy Hook we have 74 NM to home. We ran into some serious fog on the way home and glad we had radar. The fog was with us for 50 miles of the return trip.

5 comments:

SV-Footprint said...

Hey, we finally got caught up and checked out part 2! I can just imagine the memories that came flooding back to you while traveling along the East River - you are such a Romantic!

S/V Veranda said...

We love traveling the East River as well. I know its on the wrong side of the river but that ship is actually part of Rikers Island prison system. Seeing the Statue of Liberty from the water is one of the coolest things ever.

Magic Wondershow said...

Great blog!!! I'm from Maryland and thinking about purchasing a Gemini sometime soon. To answer your question, in case nobody else has, your strange boat is actually a NYC prison barge. The Vernon C. Bain. Details here:

http://www.tug44.org/tugboats.trawlers/prison-barge-vernon-c-bain/

TJ said...

How weird, Deb and I made that exact same trip just two weeks ago and took some of the exact same pictures as well!

Deb said...

You can check out our pictures at www.theretirementproject.blogspot.com